A new survey by leading meal replacement brand SlimFast reveals 42 per cent of us have gained up to half a stone during lockdown. A further 12 per cent of women and over one in six men (15 per cent) have gained between 14lbs and 28lbs and 6 per cent of those surveyed said they were too scared to weigh themselves at all.
The reasons for gaining weight during lockdown are all too familiar with almost one in four (23 per cent) citing comfort eating, 15 per cent being more sedentary and 12 per cent doing less exercise.
Trips to the fridge
Seven per cent of people said their weight gain was down to having more food in the house and 5 per cent said they were making too many trips to the fridge. Two per cent admitted they just didn’t care if they gained weight as no one could see what they looked like.
However our ‘lockdown slowdown’ has given rise to a new phenomenon – FOGO (Fear of Going Out) with 62 per cent of us admitting that as Covid-19 restrictions ease, we are experiencing a fear of being judged due to the changes in our personal appearance, general grooming and weight gain.
“Gaining a few pounds here and there isn’t a big deal – let’s face it we’ve had bigger things to worry about lately.”
Kelly Brook, SlimFast celebrity weight loss ambassador
Two thirds of those aged between 18 and 24 had put on weight compared with less than half of over-65s. 63 per cent of women claim they are heavier now than two months ago compared with 57 per cent of men.
Kelly Brook, SlimFast celebrity weight loss ambassador admits that she has also gained a few pounds during lockdown. She says: “I wasn’t at all surprised to see my weight creep up a little over the last few weeks.
“Life is full of ups and downs and the last few weeks have certainly been a roller coaster for all of us. Gaining a few pounds here and there isn’t a big deal – let’s face it we’ve had bigger things to worry about lately, but it’s really important for me to know that I have ways and means to get myself back on track to looking and feeling my best again.
“I call it my ‘Lockdown MOT’. It’s not just about losing the extra pounds – it’s more than that. It’s about getting my self-esteem and confidence back so that I can re-enter society feeling my very best and at my ‘happy weight’. Thanks to SlimFast, I know it won’t take long to get back to my size sexy!”
The new research findings are reinforced by the fact that there has been a big spike in ‘diet’ internet search terms in recent weeks. This additional insight into consumer behaviours suggests we are all looking for positive tools to support our health and wellbeing post lockdown.
Finding a happy, healthy routine and staying focused on the positives is at the heart of Kelly’s Lockdown MOT which she shares here:
- Be good to yourself: “Happiness is contagious, it motivates us to feel better about ourselves and feel more positive in any situation. I choose a new daily activity to do at home and enjoy. I adore my garden and nature; it is a real therapy for me and ‘escapism’ from my busy day. I can put my phone down and zone out, we all need that from time to time. My bedtime ritual is a nice Long soak in the bath!! Then a cup of herbal Tea before I sit down and decide what to watch on Netflix. I’ll do a mask and some beauty treatments too.”
- Always start the day right: “Don’t skip breakfast! SlimFast Advanced Vitality Shake is all I need to get my day off to a good start. I mix it up with a fresh coffee shot or a handful of fresh fruit in the blender for an extra kick. Each SlimFast Vitality shake is packed with protein and 23 essential vitamins and minerals. That then sets me up for my daily burst of exercise, maybe a brisk walk or a session of Pilates. I know that if I start my day right, I’ve got a better chance of staying motivated and happy through the day.”
- Home life, work life: “I’ve really enjoyed making my home space versatile for my working day and it’s really helped to keep me feeling energised and happy. You don’t need a lot of room but creating different designated areas for activities whether it’s making a coffee or having a stretch is a nice way to make use of all your space. As I can’t go to the gym or my local Coffee shop, I have created different stations or areas in my home now dedicated to things I like to do. Like a reading corner, gin bar little coffee shop and yoga space.
When I feel organised in my living space it is a total game changer and I’ve loved presenting my radio show overlooking my garden. One thing I can’t live without is my new label machine, it’s been the best investment ever – my ingredients jars and beauty essentials are all named. It’s amazing!”
- Get up and dance: “I love music – it’s uplifting and never fails to put a smile on my face. If I’m not listening to Heart FM, I like to make a soundtrack for my day to get me in the mood. Whether I’m working, cooking or just chilling – a positive frame of mind helps me stay focused and gets me feeling at my best. Check out the SlimFast Spotify playlist for an instant pick-me-up.”
- Picture it, set a goal: “There are so many places I’d like to visit around the world and more importantly people I’d really like to spend more time with. Time out from our normal routine really helps you appreciate the important things in life. Rather than dwell on the things I can’t do I’m keeping a list of everything I want to do in the near future. That way I’m always focused on the positives.
I’m also really enjoying new ways to style my home and explore new beauty tips/hacks. Pinterest, I’m obsessed! I love creating boards for inspiration, it’s so therapeutic and creative.”
- Get resourceful: “I try to make my life as wholesome and healthy as possible – our wellbeing is more important than ever right now. I eat well – I love cooking up healthy, low calorie meals and I’ve been experimenting and batch cooking soups and meals for the freezer, which I never usually have time to do. I made a Primavera Pizza from the new SlimFast Food Not FOMO recipe book this week. It was delicious, easy and nutritious!”
Visit: SlimFast.co.uk @SlimFastUK