ONE OF the things I love about this recipe is that it is so versatile. You can mix up the bean and vegetable content; ideal if you have some leftover ingredients that need using up. This meat-free, hearty comfort food goes perfectly with rice.
- 1 can of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large carrot
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped into small chunks
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large cup mushrooms, slice into chunks
- 100ml water
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1/2tsp ground allspice
- 1tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1tsp sugar (optional)
- In a pan, put the olive oil, onion and garlic and fry on a medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- Then add the carrot, sweet pepper, mushrooms and fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the allspice, paprika, cayenne, oregano, a sprinkling of pepper and the beans and continue to cook and stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and the juice and the water. Stir and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes. If the chilli is quite dense in flavour then add the sugar to balance the flavour.
Best served hot.