IF YOU’RE in the mood for something sweet, spicy and creamy, then this is the sweet potato and lentil stew is for you! It’s a fuss-free vegan dish that can be enjoyed on its own, but works just as well with a side of salad or rice.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped into chunks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup/8oz red split lentils, rinsed
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2tsp dried coriander
- 1/4tsp turmeric
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- In a frying pan, pour in the oil, add the ginger, onion and garlic and fry on medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric, dried coriander, paprika and cumin and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the carrot, tomato and chilli and fry for 4 minutes.
- Put in the potato and lentils and give it a quick stir; season with a sprinkling of salt.
- Pour in the coconut milk, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potato is soft. (If the mixture becomes dry add a splash of water).
Best served hot.