THIS BEEF stew is packed with sweet and spicy flavours. Great for when the weather turns gloomy, this is an ideal comfort food that is rich to taste and straightforward to make.
- 1tbsp jerk seasoning
- 400g diced beef
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped into strips
- 1 fresh chilli, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 200ml water
- In a bowl, put the diced beef, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the jerk seasoning. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan along with the shallot and garlic and fry on a medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the carrot and chilli and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the cinnamon and allspice and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown off the outside for about 4-6 minutes.
- In the bowl the beef was marinating in add the soy sauce and the sugar and give it a good mix; get any remaining jerk seasoning hanging around in there.
- Pour the soy mixture into the pan along with the water and give it a stir.
- Cover the pan and leaving it on a low heat to simmer for 50 minutes- 1 hour.
Best served hot and with basmati rice.