AS WE grow closer to the end of the month, I thought that we can’t say goodbye without at least one pumpkin recipe. I know many of us only associate this delicious vegetable with October but they are just as delicious and accessible in November. I enjoy this dish particularly with a cheeky side of basmati rice. You’ll find that when this is cooked there will be delicious juices in the roasting tray, this poured onto rice equals pure heaven.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 8 cloves of garlic, cut in half
- 250g pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium-sized red onion, roughly chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves
- 150g baby button mushrooms, halved
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika
Gas Mark 7
- Put the chicken in a bowl and add the paprika, allspice, nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and add the cloves. Get your hands stuck in there and give it a good mix. Then cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place all the vegetables and the oil in a roasting tray. On the stove, fry these for a couple of minutes on medium-low heat.
- Then add the chicken, pour in the wine and bring to a gentle boil.
- Finally, pour in the chicken stock and place the tray in the oven. Leave to bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the chicken is looking nice and crispy and cooked through.
Best served hot