APPEAL FOR INFORMATION: McCaulay Junior Urugbezi-Edwards died shortly after being stabbed in Southwark earlier this month
POLICE HAVE renewed their appeal for information in relation to the death of a teenager who was stabbed in Southwark earlier this month.
Officers returned to the scene of 18-year-old McCaulay Junior Urugbezi-Edwards’s attack on Sunday to hand out leaflets and encourage the local community to come forward.
Urugbezi-Edwards was stabbed on Tiverton Street, south London, at around 9.30pm on May 5. He was taken to hospital but died of his injuries just before 11pm.
DCI Richard Leonard, who is leading the investigation, said: “Two arrests have been made but we still need to hear from anyone with information that could help us. We are following a number of active lines of enquiry based on CCTV, forensic analysis and local engagement but we need to hear from those who live and work in the area and have an understanding about what took place.”
A 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of murder on May 7. He has been released on bail.
A 33-year-old woman was also arrested on May 7 on suspicion of assisting an offender. She has been released under investigation.
DCI Leonard said: “McCaulay was chased from Newington Gardens, which is known as Gaol Park, into Tiverton Street where he was attacked and found shortly after by LAS medics. Did you see the chase or the attack? Please call and share what you know with my team straight away. I am convinced there are people who hold the answers to what happened and are yet to come forward.”
One of Urugbezi-Edwards’s friends told The South London Press: “We don’t want him portrayed as some gang member – he wasn’t like that at all. He wanted to go to uni.”
Urugbezi-Edwards was the 29th person to be fatally stabbed in the capital this year.
Anyone with information is requested to call the police incident room on 020 8721 4622. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.